Part-Time Retail and Production Associate
319 Main St.
Batavia, IL 60510
The Role Overview
As a Retail and Production Associate, you are a versatile worker who is able to work in both sides of the business— retail and production. An integral part of our team, you can effortlessly interface with customers in a professional and sales-driven way and have an eye for how to make products look good on a shelf. On the other hand, you’re no stranger to rolling up your sleeves. You enjoy working with your hands and can tackle any kind of production task thrown your way with great attention to detail—completing tasks quickly without sacrificing quality.
On any given day, your responsibilities may include providing customer service to shoppers, completing production tasks or supporting in-store retail activities such as checking out customers through our POS system, merchandising displays or pricing products. Although the role is not IT-heavy, this work requires someone who is comfortable working across several software programs and has a sharp eye for details and is very comfortable with repetitive tasks.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Providing quality assurance to ensure orders are correct and safely packaged.
Provide customer service in a polite and helpful manner.
Stock management, including processing deliveries, product assembly and regular stock intake.
Production related tasks such as wicking, heat-gunning, labeling and finishing candles.
- Working the front counter and using the POS to checkout customers in a polite and friendly manner.
The ability to remember loyal customers’ names and preferences to help build meaningful relationships.
- Maintaining the appearance and visual appeal of in-store displays, regularly monitoring online sales and removing sold products from shelves.
- Light cleaning including sweeping, mopping, dusting, watering plants, breaking down boxes, taking out trash and sanitizing high touch areas.
- Receiving freight shipments of supplies from our building's front loading zone.
- Working collaboratively to help with business improvements and efficiencies as well as cost effectiveness – we’re a growing small business, so as you work with us, if you see things that can be done better, we want you to be the kind of person who’d be able to spot this and let us know, along with proposals of better ways of working.
- A highly-organized person with a strong attention to detail and a good memory for processes.
- Great initiative and willingness to help with any task (taking out the trash, sweeping, mopping included)
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to adapt, think on your feet and problem solve independently.
- Retail or online retail experience, ideally in a customer-facing role.
Ability to work weekends and flexible hours (such as pop-up markets or in-store events).
- Ability to maintain focus while performing repetitive tasks for long periods of time
- Must be able to stand on your feet for 7-8 hours a day
- This job will require lifting of 50+ lbs.
- Some experience with stock management or handling.
- Experience with online order fulfillment and shipping carriers such as FedEx, UPS and USPS.
- Knowledge of online tools such as Square POS, Shopify and Google Drive.
- Experience working in a small independent retailer.
- Experience with trade shows, pop-up markets and running a sales booth.
- Typically 4-7 hour shifts
- Must be able to work on Tuesdays and Sundays
- Weekday and weekend hours available
Working hours between 11am-6:30pm
Hours may vary based on projects and production schedule.
- Wage ($12.00/hr)
Paid Time Off
Paid Sick Time
Fully-Paid Training Period
- 1.5x paid holidays (when scheduled
One paid volunteer day each year
Free snacks and drinks
Free birthday lunch
A friendly, relaxed and creative working environment.
First choice of all sample sale stock and some free stuff
- The opportunity to expand your current skill set with career advancing resources and mentorship
We take the pandemic very seriously and enforce a strict mask-wearing policy in our studio.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Hearth & Hammer General is a people first small business and we believe in equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of perspectives, backgrounds and skills.
We are aware that women and other marginalized groups often only apply to roles when they meet 100% of the requirements. If you meet the majority of the qualifications and feel passionate about this position, we encourage you to still apply.
Interviews & How to Apply:
- Remote interview/screening followed by an onsite interview at the shop.
- Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject, "Retail and Production Associate Application"
- Tell us why you’re interested and why you think you'd be a good fit for our team.
- Please provide your availability to work.
- Social media links (such as LinkedIn) are encouraged and welcome.